Shape light in color - Lighting with gels
Part 2 of 3 in the Fashion Lighting series
100% satisfaction guaranteed. We offer full refunds up to 14 days after purchase.
- What you'll learn
- What you may need
About this course
From the basics of color theory to more advanced color techniques, Lindsay will explore the emotions that different colors evoke. In two scenarios you’ll learn how to use colored gels in a three light setup as a fill light, as well as the main and background light. And you’ll find out how to produce creative effects with water spray and how to change the mood in your photographs by using both warm and cool tones to create two distinct fashion looks. Take a look at some of the stunning results in our course portfolio.
Lighting skill level: Intermediate
What you get in this course
- Online light shaping course
- Downloadable step-by-step guide
- Scenario based teaching with real life photographic shoots
- Unlimited access on all devices
Discover how to:
- Plan your shoot with a color theme to match your concept
- Apply basic color theory in photography
- Use colors to evoke emotion in a photograph
- Work with gels for backgrounds,
- Use gels to fill shadows and rim lights
- Photograph with grids to control spill light
Here are some things that are good to know, as well as useful gear to use for this course. These are simply recommendations, not requirements.
- 3 x for off-camera use
- 1 x beauty dish or similar light modifier of your choice
- 1 x grid
- 1 x color gel
- Lighting skill level: Intermediate
- Some understanding of artificial lighting and how it impacts an image
- Experience of working with additional lighting to achieve a specific look
- Camera skill level: Comfortable handling the camera in manual mode
Frequently Asked Questions
A series consists of three or four courses from the same photographer. If you buy a series, you will benefit from a bundled offer for the entire package. Also, when you complete a series, you’ll receive personal feedback from one of our instructors and become a Certified Light Shaper.
No. All our courses are designed to improve your photography, regardless of what equipment you’re using.
As soon as we’ve received payment, you can view or take all your courses online - simply by logging on to the Profoto Academy website. You’ll find your courses at the Profoto Academy start page.
Explore more series at Profoto Academy
Choose series from other fields of photography