About this course
This is a great starter course for learning how to take full control of your lighting, whatever the situation, weather or time of day. You’ll follow five scenarios where you’ll learn some quick and easy lighting techniques for creating natural, beautiful portraits. The first indoor scenario shows you on-camera bouncing techniques to help soften the light on your subject. Then Hannah takes the flash off-camera and uses some light shaping techniques, such as an umbrella, to help achieve natural-looking light. Moving outdoors, you‘ll see how High-Speed Sync (HSS) can balance the ambient light with flash. Hannah uses an orange gel to help simulate sunlight, giving her images more depth and warmth. Finally she shows you how to use rim lighting and flare to add dimension to your photos.
Lighting skill level: Basic
What you get in this course
- Online light shaping course
- Scenario based teaching with real life photographic shoots
- Unlimited access on all devices
Discover how to:
- Soften your light with an on-camera flash using bouncing techniques
- Use some easy off-camera flash light shaping techniques
- Balance ambient light and flash with HSS for professional results
- Simulate sunlight and create warmth using gels in any weather conditions
- Add an extra dimension to your image using rim lighting and flares
Here are some things that are good to know, as well as useful gear to use for this course. These are simply recommendations, not requirements.
- 1 x light for on and off-camera use
- 1 x umbrella or similar light modifier of choice
- 1 x color gel
- Lighting skill level: Basic
- No or little experience of off-camera lighting
- Want to start exploring simple lighting techniques
- Camera skill level: Comfortable handling the camera in manual mode
Frequently Asked Questions
A series consists of three or four courses from the same photographer. If you buy a series, you will benefit from a bundled offer for the entire package. Also, when you complete a series, you’ll receive personal feedback from one of our instructors and become a Certified Light Shaper.
No. All our courses are designed to improve your photography, regardless of what equipment you’re using.
As soon as we’ve received payment, you can view or take all your courses online - simply by logging on to the Profoto Academy website. You’ll find your courses at the Profoto Academy start page.
Explore more series at Profoto Academy
Choose series from other fields of photography