A1 for Canon EUR The world’s smallest studio light
Product number: 901201-EUR
The Profoto A1 is designed with light shaping capabilities; it has a unique round head with a soft, smooth fall-off that makes it easy to create a natural and beautiful light. The A1 also offers a built-in LED modeling light that makes it easy to set the light and understand how light and shadows work together.
And it’s extremely easy to use. The user interface is large, clean and clear. Like all Profoto products, it’s intuitive to use and you don’t need to read a long instruction manual to understand how it works. AirTTL remote is also built in to the A1. With AirTTL and HSS you create professional results fast and easy and with the remote you can seamless connect to other Profoto flashes and control them easily from the A1.
Profoto A1 is not only an on-camera flash, it’s also very effective off-camera as a standalone unit. The A1 has its own Li-Ion high capacity exchangeable battery that lasts up to four times longer than AA batteries with no performance fade, and a facility to recharge quickly. So you can shoot for longer with confidence. A1 can keep up with you because it recycles four times faster than other on-camera solutions – that’s 1.2s at full power. Put simply, you’ll never miss a shot.
For compatible cameras, see the Technical specifications tab.
- Round head with soft, smooth and natural fall off.
- AirTTL and HSS for a beautiful professional image fast.
- Smart magnetic click-on mount for A1 Light Shaping Tools.
- Dedicated A1 Light Shaping Tools available.
- LED modeling light integrated to the head.
- Air Remote built-in.
- Rechargeable and exchangeable Li-Ion battery.
- 1.2s recycling time.
- TTL/MAN switch.
- Built in motor-zoom with hand control.
- Auto focus (AF) assist.
- Large Hi-Res display.
A1 AirTTL-C Unit
Supported camera models
1DX Mark II
1DS Mark III
5D Mark IV
5D Mark III
5D Mark II
6D Mark II
7D Mark II
Power Shot G3X
Power Shot G1X Mark III
* Note that EOS R doesn't support the AF assist on the A1. It will use on-camera LED as AF assist.
Also note that EOS R frames per second is limited to max 3.0 fps with A1 for Canon on camera (in TTL and Manual).
9 f-stops (2.0-10)
HSS energy range
9 f-stops (2-10)
Normal sync and remote control up to 300 m (1000 ft).
TTL and HSS up to 100 m (330 ft).
Yes, USB micro connector for firmware upgrades
USB micro connector for firmware upgrades
Up to 350 full power flashes
Battery charges in up to 80 minutes
User upgradeable firmware
560 g (1.2 lbs) including battery
Enable ‘Air’ in the menu and select same channel on both transmitting and receiving unit and you are ready to shoot off-camera.
In the camera, select ‘Auto FP’ and you are ready to use any shutter speed on the camera.
Some cameras restrict maximum speed when using flash on camera. By using ‘X-SYNC’ you can shoot up to 20 frames per second. The X-sync mode only works in manual mode and without High Speed Sync.
The A1 is designed to be used in dry conditions and should not be used in rain or snow.
Yes, since they are magnetic, you can stack different A1 modifiers together. When using Soft Bounce, please make sure to fit additional modifiers on top on Soft Bounce and not under it. This will make sure best fitting of the Soft Bounce.
The easiest way is to use umbrellas to create soft lighting. Use a stand adapter with hot shoe connection and umbrella mount. You can also use Profoto RFi Speedlight Speedring together with the full range of RFi Softboxes.
Yes, A1 can be used with full functionality with any Profoto Air Remote TTL on camera. It doesn’t matter which brand A1 is made for when it is used off-camera.
For Canon users, make sure ‘Hi-S’ is activated. If not, the camera will sync at maximum sync speed which is normally 1/200s or 1/250s. That will normally result in an over exposed image in bright condition. For Nikon users, make sure ‘Auto FP’ is activated in the camera so that a fast shutter speed can be used.
At some settings the LED will flicker which can result in lines across the image. Follow the instruction ‘Can I use the modeling light on the A1 for video and still images?’ in this FAQ how to set the model light for best result.
Make sure the Soft Bounce is mounted directly on the A1 head. If you use any modifier in between this will weaken the connection.
Latest firmware updates
20 November, 2019
- Minor bugfixes from previous version C5.
- Mac installer fixed for macOS Catalina.
30 September, 2019
- "On (Transmit only)" is added to the list of user selectable Air settings. If you are using A1/A1X on camera and activate this setting you can use it to trigger and control other lights on selected channel but your A1/A1X cannot be triggered or controlled by others.
- Minor bug fixes.
15 May, 2019
- More Air channels are added. Channel 9-20 are added to previous channels 1-8.
- Redesigned and improved user interface (for the A1).
- Improved save-settings handling.
- Various minor fixes.
30 November, 2018
Profoto A1 for Canon
- The update adds camera compatibility with Canon EOS R.
- Note that EOS R doesn´t support the AF assist on the A1. It will use on-camera LED as AF assist.
Profoto A1 for Nikon
- The update adds camera compatibility with Nikon Z6 and Z7.
- Note that Z6 and Z7 doesn't support the AF assist on the A1. They will use on-camera LED as AF assist.
To access the latest firmware in My Profoto, you need to be logged in and register your product.