Distance, direction, shape – Basic foundations of light
With David Bicho
100% satisfaction guaranteed. We offer full refunds up to 14 days after purchase.
About this course
Perfect for the aspiring photographer, this course will help you to start working with light. David looks at the basic theory and physics of how to control your light, while award-winning portrait photographer Hannah Couzens translates this into something that you can use in everyday practical photography. Together they’ll show you how to create natural beautiful images using the three cornerstones of light: distance, direction and shape. Control brightness and light fall-off with distance – by moving light source closer or further away. Place your light to determine where and how shadows fall on your subject. And create soft or hard light using different light source shapes and sizes.
Lighting skill level: Basic
What you get in this course
- 25 minutes of online light shaping course
- Scenario based teaching with real life photographic shoots
- Unlimited access on all devices
Discover how to:
- Control brightness and light fall-off by changing distance to the light source
- Place your light to affect where and how shadows fall on your subject
- Create soft or hard light using different shapes and sizes of light source
Here are some things that are good to know, as well as useful gear to use for this course. These are simply recommendations, not requirements.
- No equipment needed
- Lighting skill level: Basic
- No or little experience of lighting
- Want to start exploring simple lighting techniques
- Camera skill level: Comfortable handling the camera in manual mode
Profoto products in action
You don't need to own Profoto products to learn from this course. But just in case you're interested, here is the one we used.
Frequently asked questions
A series consists of three or four courses from the same photographer. If you buy a series, you will benefit from a bundled offer for the entire package. Also, when you complete a series, you’ll receive personal feedback from one of our instructors and become a Certified Light Shaper.
No. All our courses are designed to improve your photography, regardless of what equipment you’re using.
As soon as we’ve received payment, you can view or take all your courses online - simply by logging on to the Profoto Academy website. You’ll find your courses at the Profoto Academy start page.