It's all in the family - Group portraiture
Part 3 of 4 in the Family Portraits series
100% satisfaction guaranteed. We offer full refunds up to 14 days after purchase.
About this course
Photographing families can present difficulties, especially maintaining control over your subjects. Sandy offers the best lighting and posing tips for family photography in different environments, including how to quickly shoot and light a family with a toddler. Find out how to photograph in open shade, mixing natural light and flash, as well as overcoming direct sunlight when no shade is available. Explore some techniques for shooting with flash during sunset and how to use HSS (high speed sync). Sandy will even show how to create a beautiful silhoutte after the sun has gone down.
Lighting skill level: Basic
Duration: 42 min
What you get in this course
- Online light shaping course
- Scenario based teaching with real life photographic shoots
- Downloadable step-by-step guide
- Unlimited access on all devices
Discover how to:
- Plan a shoot with a family using styling and poses
- Mix natural light and flash
- Shoot during and after sunset
- Light and shoot a family with a toddler quickly
- Balance ambient light with flash during sunset
- Mimic natural backlight with flash after sunset
- Shoot with TTL (Through the Lens) and HSS (High Speed Sync)
Here are some things that are good to know, as well as useful gear to use for this course. These are simply recommendations, not requirements.
- 2 x lights for off-camera use
- 1 x large softbox or similar light modifier of choice
- Lighting skill level: Basic
- No or little experience of off-camera lighting
- Want to start exploring simple lighting techniques
- Camera skill level: Comfortable handling the camera in manual mode
Frequently Asked Questions
A series consists of three or four courses from the same photographer. If you buy a series, you will benefit from a bundled offer for the entire package. Also, when you complete a series, you’ll receive personal feedback from one of our instructors and become a Certified Light Shaper.
No. All our courses are designed to improve your photography, regardless of what equipment you’re using.
As soon as we’ve received payment, you can view or take all your courses online - simply by logging on to the Profoto Academy website. You’ll find your courses at the Profoto Academy start page.