How to light a face
100% satisfaction guaranteed. We offer full refunds up to 14 days after purchase.
About this course
David demonstrates how to avoid common pitfalls when lighting for portraits. He shows how to make the most of light modifiers and shares numerous ways to light the face.
Hannah Couzens shows how to apply the techniques in a portrait session.
David then applies all the lessons from the course in a real-life portrait session with singer Hanna Larsson from the duo Hanna and Andrea. You’ll see how to mix three different lights for a very creative lighting setup.
Duration: 1 h 5 min
What you get in this course
- Online light shaping course
- Downloadable step-by-step guide
- Scenario based teaching from real life photographic shoots
- Unlimited access on all devices
Discover how to:
- Change the environment and use it to create different styles for your portraits
- Avoid the five most common pitfalls
- Use the environment to impact and control contrast in shadows
- Set the most common light patterns on a face with one, two, and three lights
- Understand how different light modifiers impact shadow shape, contrast, and color
To do the exercises you need at least one light for off-camera use.
For the final hero image in this course we used:
- 3 x lights for on- and off-camera use
- 2 x strip box
- 1 x soft grid
- 1 x color gel
- Extras: light stands, foam board, water spray bottle
- Lighting skill level: Suitable for all levels of knowledge
- Camera skill level: Comfortable handling a camera in manual mode
Frequently Asked Questions
A series consists of two or more courses from the same photographer. If you buy a series, you will benefit from a bundled offer for the entire package. Also, when you complete a series, you’ll receive personal feedback from one of our instructors and become a Certified Light Shaper.
No. All our courses are designed to improve your photography, regardless of what equipment you’re using.
As soon as we’ve received payment, you can view or take all your courses online - simply by logging on to the Profoto Academy website. You’ll find your courses at the Profoto Academy start page.