Cinematic and moody – Dramatic portraits
Part 3 of 3 in the Professional Portraits series
100% satisfaction guaranteed. We offer full refunds up to 14 days after purchase.
About this course
Hannah creates inspiring cinematic images for a commercial client, using stunning locations and more advanced lighting techniques. In the first scenario Hannah is shooting in a beautiful art deco cinema using a three light set-up, including a main, rim and background light. You’ll learn how to drag the shutter with a long exposure to bring out the interior tungsten lights and use flash to freeze your subjects. Hannah will show you how to create a cinematic Hollywood look with hard light modifiers and grids. Then in an atmospheric dawn shoot, Hannah uses flash with a long exposure to freeze the subject’s movement, whilst combining it with the city’s ambient light.
Lighting skill level: Intermediate
Duration: 43 min
What you get in this course
- Online light shaping course
- Downloadable step-by-step guide
- Scenario based teaching from real life photographic shoots
- Unlimited access on all devices
Discover how to:
- Create a concept shoot for a commercial client
- Make your portraits more dramatic with background lights, hard modifiers and grids
- Build different 3-light setups using main, rim and background lights
- Shoot in low light situations by dragging the shutter both indoors and outdoors
- Use flash to freeze movement at dawn, whilst mixing it with ambient light
- 3 x lights for off-camera use
- 1 x hard light modifier of choice
- 1 x grid of choice
- Lighting skill level: Intermediate
- Strongly recommended to take the other courses in the Professional portrait series
- Want to start exploring simple lighting techniques
- Camera skill level: Comfortable in handling the camera in manual mode
Frequently Asked Questions
A series consists of two or more courses from the same photographer. If you buy a series, you will benefit from a bundled offer for the entire package. Also, when you complete a series, you’ll receive personal feedback from one of our instructors and become a Certified Light Shaper.
No. All our courses are designed to improve your photography, regardless of what equipment you’re using.
As soon as we’ve received payment, you can view or take all your courses online - simply by logging on to the Profoto Academy website. You’ll find your courses at the Profoto Academy start page.